Thursday, August 16, 2012

Jewelry Chest & Vintage Dresser

It has been a busy couple weeks finishing projects, and now is the fun time where I get to show them off!  Both have sold already, which is fantastic, and now I'm doing a few for my own house!  More pictures to come on that.

First was a very 80's style jewelry chest. I wish I would have gotten a couple better before photos, but it was a dark wood with a dingy pink felt on the inside.  Most of the drawers had stains on the bottom - who wants that?!  In hindsight, I overpaid for this because I bought it sight-unseen from Cedar Rapids, and the lovely Craigslist gal I was buying it from didn't disclose all the stains/problems.  Lesson learned.

BEFORE:


AFTER:
I painted it a beautiful glossy black and treated the handles with a black metallic finish. I lined all the drawers with a fun coordinating pink/black patterned material.  The end product turned out great! Perfect for any gal's jewelry.  If I would have had room for it - I would have kept it for myself!



My other project was a gorgeous 1940's antique Dixie dresser.  This was a steal at $50 AND came with a matching mirror and two other small dressers/stands - more on those in the next post. But my client only wanted this dresser (without the mirror).  I have to admit, I had a hard time sanding down the beautiful mahagony, and priming it when it looked so nice as is - but the end product turned out even better.  It definitely pays to find a solid, quality dresser when refinishing things like this.

BEFORE:

AFTER:


More detailed pictures to come .....
I have learned that it's better to re-do those beautiful antiques in a way we would want to see them/keep them, than to secretly look at them and feel frustrated - wishing they matched our furnishings better.  Look how fantastic the end product can be!


No comments:

Post a Comment